28.1.10

The iPad

We all knew that Apple would eventually develop a product to compete with the Kindle. My first reaction to rumors of the Apple "tablet" was that it was an interesting yet unnecessary product, but now that I know it's for real, I can stop my reaction formation and admit that I think the iPad is not only revolutionary, but that it will also probably become as necessary to me as my laptop is today.

For years, computers have taken advantage of the desktop analogy, in which the windows are supposed to mimic papers on an actual desk. This interface has obviously been a huge success. But the iPad takes this idea further with a design that doesn't require any getting used to. Holding it will be like holding a(n) (i)pad of paper. It seems completely natural. The iBooks app even has a "Bookshelf" to store your books on.

I'm looking forward to the March/April release.

Features: Safari, Mail, Photos, Video, YouTube, iPod, iTunes, App Store, iBooks, Maps, Notes, Calendar, Contacts, Home Screen, Spotlight Search

Pricing: $499 - $829 (depending on 3G or just Wi-Fi with 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB)

Find out more about the Apple iPad at apple.com/ipad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coolnesssssss